2012 vintage – “One of the best of the decade”
SAN FRANCISCO (April 14, 2014) – Charter Oak Winery, located in the heart of Napa Valley out of St. Helena, Calif. is proud to release five red varietals this month. The highly anticipated 2012 vintages represent four of five new additions to Charter Oak’s offering of exceptional California Zinfandels and blends. Combining textbook ripening conditions and a century-old, Fanucci family hand-press process, the new wines bring forth complex and flavorful notes marked by softer tannins and silkiness.
“A classic vintage from start to finish,” notes Charter Oak Winemaker Robert Fanucci. “We have not seen wines this refined since the 1997 and 2005 vintages.”
Characteristics of the each of the wines range from deep and dark to floral and spicy. Some of their specific tasting notes include:
- 2012 Guido Ragghianti Old World Field Blend: A monster of a wine, dark, deep and rich, loads of black fruit with a hint of Bing cherry backed by ripe blueberry notes.
- 2012 Roberto Fanucci Estate Napa Valley Zinfandel: An expressive, thick, juicy, jammy raspberry-scented wine.
- 2012 Monte Rosso Old Vine Hillside Zinfandel Sonoma County: Combines power and elegance, vibrant blackberry & cherry pie, licorice flavors, hot brick, black raspberry, complex flavors. Nicely focused, anise, tar nose; cracked black pepper smoke, tasty black fruit, dried berry palate and solid structure with a long seductive finish.
- 2012 The Zinfandel Mind: The small clusters receive an extra four to six weeks of hang time resulting in intense and explosive fruit flavors. Ripe and jammy, dark cherry red color; tart black fruit, wild blackberry nose; boysenberry pie notes, Pinot-like, floral, tart cherry, baked spice bursting with flavor. Featuring International Artist and winemaker’s wife Layla Fanucci’s artwork.
- 2011 Matilda Ragghianti Nonni’s Red Blend: Loads of Moroccan exotic baked spice, explosive flavors of dark chocolate and cherry.
Producing a rare 140 gallons per ton, each of the Charter Oak wines were fermented dry, with no residual sugar, fermented on natural native yeasts, and complete fermentation naturally, with no chemical additives.
The five new wines range in price from $42 to $60 per bottle. For more information and to purchase, visit charteroakwinery.com.
About Charter Oak Winery
Located in the heart of St. Helena, California, Charter Oak Winery is a place where artisan meets artist in a historical destination that offers a world-class experience. Helmed by husband-and-wife duo, Robert and Layla Fanucci, Charter Oak is a hidden gem nestled in Napa County, where the Fanucci family has been perfecting their grandfather’s handcrafted winemaking process for four generations. While Robert tends the grapes with timeworn tools handed down from his grandfather, Layla paints her acclaimed cityscape paintings at her art studio located at the picturesque property. For more information, please visit www.charteroakwine.com or watch the “Fine Art of Wine”.